Malay Chicken Rendang. Here I have just the perfect chicken rendang recipe for you. Rendang originated from Indonesia but they are very popular and well loved by many in Malaysia. Chicken rendang is slow cooked and stewed in the rendang sauce and my chicken rendang recipe yields flavorful and tender chicken, with complex structure of flavors, with the intense aroma of the exotic spices.
A Malaysian classic dish, Chicken Rendang. Tender chicken in aromatic herbs and creamy coconut milk, all goodness in one pot. A traditional dish thats loved by everybody. You can have Malay Chicken Rendang using 23 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Malay Chicken Rendang
- You need 350 g of chicken meat (deboned, skinless).
- Prepare 4 cloves (40 g) of shallots.
- It's 3 cloves (25 g) of garlic.
- You need 8 of dried chilies or 4 live chilies.
- It's 1 inch (20 g) of turmeric root.
- It's 1 inch (20 g) of galangal.
- It's 1 inch (20 g) of ginger.
- You need 1 stick (20 g) of lemongrass.
- It's 1 tsp of cumin powder.
- You need 1 tsp of coriander powder.
- You need 1 tsp of fennel powder.
- You need 1 tsp of fenugreek.
- It's 2 of star anise.
- Prepare 1 of cinnamon stick.
- It's 3 of cardamom pods.
- You need 1 Tbsp of palm sugar.
- It's 3 Tbsp of coconut paste (kerisik).
- You need 2 of turmeric leaves (sliced finely).
- You need 3 of kaffir lime leaves.
- Prepare 2 of tamarind slices (asam keping).
- You need 1 cup of thick coconut milk.
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of cooking oil.
- You need of Salt to taste (1 tsp).
I made this lovely chicken rendang lighter by using less amount of coconut milk and it taste wonderful just the same 🙂. Chicken Rendang, A Versatile Dish and The Perfect Nasi Lemak Accompaniment. Traditional Malaysian Chicken Rendang is also a dish that is extremely versatile. You can serve this flavourful rendang dish with steamed white or saffron rice, ketupat (a compressed rice cake) or lemang (glutinous rice cooked in bamboo tubes) and thick slices of bread.
Malay Chicken Rendang step by step
- Blend shallots, garlic, ginger, galangal, lemongrass, chilis, turmeric root into paste..
- Heat oil in wok and fry cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, cumin, fenugreek, coriander and fennel until fragrant. Then add in the blended paste and cook until color has darken and the oil separates..
- Add chicken and cook well. Next add the coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, tamarind slices, turmeric leaves and palm sugar. Mix well and cook until the liquid thickens but not yet dry. Then add coconut paste and cook until desired consistency or until dry. Add salt to taste..
The chicken rendang would be succulent and tender. What to serve with chicken rendang. Serve this with Nasi Lemak, the popular Malaysian dish, white rice or noodles. Other dishes which would pair well with rendang are acar awak, fish in asam curry and teh tarik. To many, cooking rendang seems daunting and complicated.