Mackerel with White Wine & Currant Sauce.
You can cook Mackerel with White Wine & Currant Sauce using 8 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mackerel with White Wine & Currant Sauce
- You need 2 of mackerels Mackerel.
- It's 120 ml of White wine.
- It's 100 grams of Currants (red or pink).
- You need 1/2 of Onion (roughly chopped).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Sugar.
- It's 1 clove of Garlic (sliced).
- You need 1 tbsp of Butter.
- Prepare 1 of Salt and pepper.
Mackerel with White Wine & Currant Sauce step by step
- Boil 150 ml water, and let it cool down until there is no more steam..
- While letting the hot water cool down, remove the currants from their stems, rinse, and set them aside in the bowl..
- Add the warm water from Step 1 to the currants from Step 2, lightly stir, and leave them for a while (for longer than 10 minutes)..
- Choose a pan (or wok) large enough to arrange the mackerel fillets in a single layer. Heat up the pan, pour in a generous amount of oil, and spread evenly..
- Lightly season both sides of the mackerel fillets with salt and pepper, and pan-fry over medium heat with the skin side down..
- In a small sauce pan, melt the butter, and sauté the onion and garlic..
- When the onion becomes soft, add the white wine, sugar, and 50 ml of the warm water that was used to soak the currants..
- Season with salt and pepper. When the white wine starts bubbling around the edges of the pan, reduce the heat to very low..
- Once most of the surface of the mackerel has turned whitish, flip it over..
- After 3-5 minutes of pan-frying the mackerel, pour the sauce from Step 8 over the mackerel from Step 9, and simmer over medium heat for 3-5 minutes..
- Drain the currants from Step 2 through a sieve, add only the currants to Step 10, and simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Shake the pan from time to time, adjust the taste, and it's done..
- Transfer to serving plates, garnish with parsley or other seasonings, and enjoy!.