Slow Cooker Beef Kaldereta. This Asian beef stew (Beef Caldereta) is robust in flavor and so delicious! Cooking in the slow cooker makes it very convenient, too. Beef Kaldereta is a main stay in any Filipino Kitchen.
More flavor are also extracted from the. This time we're going to cook Beef Caldereta in the slow-cooker. Please watch in HD (to see our imperfections lol). You can have Slow Cooker Beef Kaldereta using 16 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Slow Cooker Beef Kaldereta
- It's 2.2 lbs of Beef stew meat (chuck roast cut into chunks).
- It's 2 tbsp of Oil (plus a little extra if needed).
- Prepare 3 of Garlic cloves, peeled and crushed.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, sliced.
- It's 2 of Plum Tomatoes, chopped.
- You need 2 of medium size Carrots, sliced into 1-inch thickness.
- Prepare 4 of Red Potatoes, cut into cubes (roughly the same size as the carrots).
- Prepare 2 of Bay Leaves.
- It's 1 cup of Beef broth or water.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Fish Sauce or Soy Sauce (adjust to taste).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Tomato Sauce.
- It's 1/3-1/2 cup of Peanut Butter, or to taste (maybe replaced with Liver spread to be more authentic).
- Prepare 1 of Red Bell Pepper.
- Prepare 1 cup of frozen Peas.
- You need 2 tsp of brown Sugar (optional).
- It's to taste of Salt and Pepper,.
Bite-sized chunks of beef in a thick and rich, mahogany-colored sauce make this delicious slow cooker chili recipe irresistible. There are no beans in this. Beef Kaldereta (or Caldereta) is a Filipino spicy tomato-based beef stew loved by many Filipinos. This spicy dish is commonly served on holidays and special occasions but believe me, there is no need to wait for a special event to enjoy this classic Filipino dish.
Slow Cooker Beef Kaldereta step by step
- Season the beef chunks with salt and pepper..
- In a large frying pan (like a heavy stainless steel or cast iron skillet), heat the oil until hot but not smoking. Sear the beef by browning on all sides in the hot oil. Keep some space in between the beef chunks when frying so don’t dump all the beef but cook in batches..
- Place in a plate as you cook. This method will ensure a deep and delicious taste from the meat so if you can don’t omit the step..
- In the remaining oil (or add a little oil to the skillet if needed) saute the garlic, onions and tomatoes for 3-4 minutes. The purpose is to deglaze the pan with the juices from the veggies and get all the yummy brown bits remaining there for extra flavor..
- Place the beef and the sauteed vegetables in the slow cooker. If there’s no time, simply add the browned beef with the vegetables in the slow cooker..
- Add the carrots, potatoes and bay leaves. Pour the beef broth (or water), fish sauce or soy sauce and the tomato sauce. Give it a quick stir. Cover and cook on low until the beef is fork tender between 6-8 hours..
- When the beef is already tender enough to eat (but not falling apart) add the peanut butter and red bell pepper. You can also add the frozen peas at this point. Add the sugar, if using. This is not to sweeten the stew but to enhance the flavor. Season with extra salt and pepper, if needed. Stir everything gently. Cook for another 30 minutes to 1 hour or until everything is fully heated through..
- Serve with freshly steamed rice on the side..
Slow Cooker Beef Kaldereta Recipe by Minda. Slow Cooker Beef Caldereta and Reunion with Former Filipino Officemates. A blog featuring healthy as well as decadent recipes and interesting reflections in life. Beef Caldereta is a Filipino Kaldereta Recipe that uses beef. Caldereta or Kaldereta is a classic filipino dish in which every filipino household has its.