Toad in the Hole. Toad in the hole or Sausage Toad is a traditional English dish consisting of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, usually served with onion gravy and vegetables. Historically, the dish has also been prepared using other meats, such as rump steak and lamb's kidney. The English classic Toad-in-the-Hole—sausage links baked in a Yorkshire pudding like flour egg batter.
Wrap each piece of skinned sausage meat in a piece of cured ham. Put the dripping or lard in a roasting tin and leave it in the oven until it is smoking. Toad in the Hole is a classic English dish, a dinnertime favourite for children and adults alike. You can cook Toad in the Hole using 6 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Toad in the Hole
- Prepare 12 of sausages.
- You need 1 tbsp of rapeseed oil.
- You need 150 of plain flour.
- It's 3 of eggs.
- You need 340 ml of milk.
- You need of Fresh rosemary & thyme (optional).
Sausages are lightly baked and smothered in a savoury. Toad in the hole or sausage toad is a traditional British dish consisting of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, usually served with onion gravy and vegetables. Serve at the table with the Toad in the hole, mashed potatoes, greens and baked beans or maybe a green salad if you're feeling a little guilty! Transform toad-in-the-hole with melting mustardy cheddar and broccoli.
Toad in the Hole step by step
- Preheat the oven to 220 fan. Put the sausages into a roasting tin, sprinkle over the oil and place in the oven for 15 mins..
- Meanwhile make the batter. Add the flour to a large bowl and season well. Finely chop the herbs if using and add to the bowl..
- Using an electric whisk, whisk in the eggs, followed by the milk to create a smooth runny batter. I like to pour my batter into a jug, to make it easier to pour later on..
- Take the tin with the sausages out of the oven and slowly pour in the batter, put the tin back into the oven and cook for a further 20-25 minutes, it should be golden born and well risen. If it start to brown too much just lightly cover it with a piece of foil..
This is a good recipe (I made them this morning for brunch) but it is not a classic Toad-in-a-hole which is comprised of sausages quickly browned in a skillet covered with Yorkshire pudding batter and finished in the oven. Toad In The Hole is a traditional British dish. It typically consists of sausages (the toad) and batter (the hole). Toad in the Hole is a much loved British comfort food dish comprised of sausages and Yorkshire Pudding. I love to serve it with roast potatoes and gravy.