Toad in the hole. Toad in the hole or Sausage Toad is a traditional English dish consisting of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, usually served with onion gravy and vegetables. Historically, the dish has also been prepared using other meats, such as rump steak and lamb's kidney. The English classic Toad-in-the-Hole—sausage links baked in a Yorkshire pudding like flour egg batter.
Wrap each piece of skinned sausage meat in a piece of cured ham. Put the dripping or lard in a roasting tin and leave it in the oven until it is smoking. Toad in the Hole is a classic English dish, a dinnertime favourite for children and adults alike. You can have Toad in the hole using 5 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Toad in the hole
- It's of Pork and apple sausages.
- Prepare 3 of eggs.
- You need of Milk (approx 100 ml).
- Prepare 3 tbsp of plain flour.
- It's 2 tbsp of vegetable oil.
Sausages are lightly baked and smothered in a savoury. Toad in the hole or sausage toad is a traditional British dish consisting of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, usually served with onion gravy and vegetables. Serve at the table with the Toad in the hole, mashed potatoes, greens and baked beans or maybe a green salad if you're feeling a little guilty! Transform toad-in-the-hole with melting mustardy cheddar and broccoli.
Toad in the hole instructions
- Heat the oven to maximum. Put the sausages in the dish alone. Cook them for about 15mins, then add the oil to the dish to get it really hot..
- Whilst the sausages are cooking beat together the flour,(its back in the shops at last!) milk and eggs to make the batter. If the batter is too thick add a little more milk..
- Once you are sure the oil is going to be really hot then pour the batter over the sausages, get it back in the oven. Door shut, and dont open for another 20 mins..
- Once cooked carefully set it down to cool for at least 10 mins before you try and serve it so you dont get burnt by spitting fat..
This is a good recipe (I made them this morning for brunch) but it is not a classic Toad-in-a-hole which is comprised of sausages quickly browned in a skillet covered with Yorkshire pudding batter and finished in the oven. Toad In The Hole is a traditional British dish. It typically consists of sausages (the toad) and batter (the hole). Toad in the Hole is a much loved British comfort food dish comprised of sausages and Yorkshire Pudding. I love to serve it with roast potatoes and gravy.