Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie FC. How to Make Vegan Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie. The base is a simple mixture of vegetables and lentils simmered with fresh thyme in vegetable broth until tender and flavorful. This Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie recipe is healthy, easy to make, and so scrumptious.
We teamed up with Callum and Themis from Sprout Cooking School to bring you a hearty recipe full of vegetables. Swap mashed potato for vibrant sweet potato and bulk out your lean lamb or beef mince with red lentils for a slimmer take on this comforting classic. This Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie has been a total staple for me. You can have Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie FC using 15 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie FC
- You need 2 1/2 lb of sweet potatoes, peeled, diced into 1/2in. pieces.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of 1% milk.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- It's 1 tsp of salt.
- It's 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper.
- It's 1 1/2 lb of lean ground beef.
- It's 2 medium of carrots (finely diced).
- Prepare 2 of ribs celery (finely diced).
- You need 1 small of onion (finely diced).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of all purpose flour.
- It's 2 tbsp of tomato paste.
- It's 2 cup of reduced sodium beef broth.
- It's 1 packages of frozen peas (10oz.).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of chopped fresh thyme.
- It's 1 tbsp of chopped fresh rosemary.
It's simple and made with healthy but satisfying ingredients. When I was growing up, my mom or stepdad used to make shepherd's pie all the time. Beef, corn, and mashed potatoes topped off with cheese. This sweet potato shepherd's pie was inspired from my classic Lightened Up Shepherd's Pie.
Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie FC instructions
- got this out of family circle magazine.. I'm just preserving the recipe here and cutting down the amount of magazines I have. I have not made this yet but saving here for future use. pictures are a snapshot I took from magazine...
- preheat oven to 375...
- in a large lidded pot add potatoes and cover with 1inch of cold water. bring to boil. reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered for 10minutes or until fork tender. drain and return potatoes to pot..
- to potatoes.. add milk and 2tbl. of the butter, 1/2 tsp of the salt, and 1/4 tsp. of the pepper. mash until smooth, cover and set aside..
- meanwhile, add remaining butter to a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat. add ground beef by crumbling into pan. add carrots, celery and onion. cook for 15 minutes until veggies r soft and beef is no longer pink..
- stir in flour and cook an additional minute. stir in tomato paste, beef broth, and peas. bring to a simmer then cook 3 more minutes. liquid should be starting to thicken and peas should be thawed..
- stir in thyme, rosemary and remaining salt and pepper..
- transfer meat veggie mix to a 13x9x2 baking dish. spread sweet potato mix evenly over beef mix. leave a 1inch border around the edges..
- bake for 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbling..
- NUTRITIONAL INFO BASED ON family circle MAGAZINE: per serving: 429 calories; 12g. fat; 6g. sat.fat; 32g. protein; 48g. carbs; 8g. fiber; 701mg. sodium; 86mg. cholesterol.
I also have a meatless version, Portobello Shepherd's Pie (vegetarian). This is a crazy month for the North East. First we got slammed with a hurricane, and yesterday a Nor'easter. Louisiana Style: Collard greens, sweet potatoes, and Cajun spices give this casserole a Southern slant. Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie - a seasonal twist on a classic dish that's perfect for fall.