Sig's Toad in the Hole. Toad in the hole or Sausage Toad is a traditional English dish consisting of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, usually served with onion gravy and vegetables. Historically, the dish has also been prepared using other meats, such as rump steak and lamb's kidney. The English classic Toad-in-the-Hole—sausage links baked in a Yorkshire pudding like flour egg batter.
How To Make The Best Toad In The Hole. While the toad in the hole is cooking, prepare the cabbage. A much loved British comfort food dish comprised of sausages and Yorkshire Pudding. You can cook Sig's Toad in the Hole using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sig's Toad in the Hole
- It's 8 of lincolnshire chipolatas or thin sausages of choice.
- It's 300 ml of fresh milk of choice.
- Prepare 2 of eggs medium size.
- You need 120 grams of plain flour.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of each of grained mustard and of mild mustard.
- Prepare 1 of good pinch salt.
- It's 20 grams of butter, melted.
- You need pinch of each of fresh oregano and thyme.
- You need 125 grams of fresh mushrooms.
- It's of About 250 grams leeks, sliced.
I love to serve it with roast potatoes and Toad in the Hole is basically sausages baked inside of Yorkshire pudding which, on the face of it sounds rather dull. In fact, however, it is a pretty. Transform toad-in-the-hole with melting mustardy cheddar and broccoli. Serve with steamed greens and this delicious homemade gravy.
Sig's Toad in the Hole instructions
- Preheat the oven. Add two tablespoons of vegetable oil into your ovenproof baking dish, brush around the dish. When oven is hot put your baking dish into the oven, heat the oil in baking dish..
- Mix milk, eggs, salt and flour in bowl with a whisk. Melt butter, set aside. Chop mushrooms and leeks. With a little oil, fry them until they soften. In aother pan fry sausages, until they just start to brown. Do not overcook them as they will brown more in the oven. Mix melted butter and the 2 mustards into batter, add the herbs. Whisk again..
- Remove the baking dish from the oven, pour the batter into the dish. Then add the mushroom and leek mixture. Top with the sausages.Serve with baked beans or a salad.
Toad in the hole is one of England's most bizarrely named foods. Where did its unusual name come from? Was it actually anything to do with toads? Some say that Toad-in-the-Hole originates from the town of Alnmouth in Northumberland, where the local golf course was overrun with Natterjack toads. This classic Toad in the Hole recipe is spiced up with Cajun flavors and Andouille sausage.