Thai Massaman Curry. Massaman curry is a unique Thai curry that is not fiercely hot. It is is a rich curry of Persian origin which has been wonderfully assimilated into the classic Thai cuisine in the Southern region of Thailand. Massaman curry is a fusion of Thai- and Indian-style curries, utilizing both a red-style curry paste (Thai influence) and dry whole spices like cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and nutmeg (Indian influence).
Massaman Curry, a mild and flavorful Thai curry with a perfect blend of sweet, spicy and creamy. Thai Massaman curry is quick and super easy to make. I love the flavor combination in this curry. You can cook Thai Massaman Curry using 23 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Thai Massaman Curry
- It's 350 g of Chicken Meat (cut into pieces).
- Prepare 300 g of Potatoes (diced).
- You need 4 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Tamarind Paste (soaked in 1/2 cup warm water).
- It's 1 cup of Coconut Milk.
- Prepare 1-2 Tbsp of Palm Sugar.
- You need of [Marinade].
- You need 2 pinches of Salt (or more).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of White Pepper (or more).
- Prepare of [Massaman Spice Mix] - ground well.
- It's 1 pc of Cinnamon Stick.
- Prepare 5 pc of Cardamom Pods.
- It's 5 pc of Cloves.
- You need 5 pc of Black peppercorns.
- You need 1 tsp of Cumin Seeds.
- It's of [Curry Paste] - processed in a blender.
- You need 30 g of Red Chillies (deseed).
- It's 30 g of Green Chillies (deseed).
- It's 40 g of Garlic.
- You need 40 g of Shallots.
- Prepare 20 g of Finger.
- You need 20 g of Galangal.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Shrimp Paste.
This wonderful rich and tasty beef curry recipe is infused with all the exotic flavours of Thailand. The amazing Khun Saiyuud Diwong (or Poo for short). Massaman curry is a unique type of curry amongst the various Thai curries because it is more like an Indian curry using mainly dried spices for seasoning. Try this homemade Thai Massaman curry, which is made entirely from scratch.
Thai Massaman Curry instructions
- MARINADE; season the Chicken with Salt and Pepper and set aside for 30 minutes or more..
- CHICKEN: heat 4 Tbsp of Cooking Oil until hot. Sauté the Spice Mix for 1 minute. Then add the Chicken and coat well. Cook the Chicken until brown all over..
- PASTE & POTATOES: add the Curry Paste and Potatoes. Mix well and cook until the oil separates..
- LIQUIDS: then add in the Coconut Milk, Tamarind Juice, Palm Sugar and mix well. Bring it to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring the bottom occasionally..
- FINISH: after 10 minutes, remove the lid, and continue to cook until the gravy thickens. Garnish with Fresh Coriander Leaves and serve with rice..
This famous Thai curry is rich and very flavorful. Made with chicken, beef, or lamb, it's a fragrant yellow curry that. Massaman Curry is a bit of an outlier in Thai cuisine. It was born from Indian and Malay influences and as a result, the main flavours comes from spices. For the massaman curry paste, heat a small frying pan over a medium heat.