Rendang Chicken Curry. One of the more popular Indonesian dishes in Thailand and throughout Asia is rendang chicken or beef curry. Rendang is considered a "dry" curry, which means the sauce is simmered down to a minimum. Because it is so distilled, the sauce sticks to the meat, making this dish incredibly flavorful.
At this point, the remaining sauce is caramelize around the chicken along with roasted coconut to create an ultra-flavorful coating around each piece of chicken. Process well to form a thick curry paste or sauce. Do a taste test for salt and spice, adding more fish sauce if not salty enough. You can cook Rendang Chicken Curry using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Rendang Chicken Curry
- It's 2 tbsp of ready-made Rendang curry paste.
- You need 2 of chicken breasts cut into small cubes or strips.
- It's 400 ml of tin coconut milk.
- It's 2 of kaffir lime leaves.
- You need 2 tbsp of Thai fish sauce.
- It's 2 tbsp of palm sugar.
- It's 1 handful of green beans (trimmed, chopped half).
- You need 1 of carrot (cut about 4-5 cm long).
- It's 1 of big red chilli.
If not spicy enough, add more fresh chilli. If too sour, add a little more brown sugar. Place sauce in a wok or large, deep-sided frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and stir well.
Rendang Chicken Curry instructions
- Heat about 2 tbsp. of coconut milk in a wok over a high heat until coconut milk starts bubbling. Add the Rendang curry paste and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant..
- Put rice on to cook and add carrots to par boil for five mins..
- Add the chicken to the Rendang and coconut sauce cook for a few minutes, until chicken just about done then add carrot, green bean and stir well..
- Then add the sugar, fish sauce, red chilli and kaffir lime leaves. Simmer for 5-7 minutes..
- Taste and adjust the saltiness by adding more fish sauce if preferred. Add a few tbsp. of coconut milk and stir well..
- To serve, place the panang curry in a large bowl removing Kaffir line leaves. Pair with steamed jasmine rice..
Rendang is a traditional Asian dry curry, originally concocted to tenderise and disguise tough cuts of meat. Since then, it has become a very popular dish using beef, lamb or chicken chunks. The secret behind great Rendang is the gravy, consisting of spices like coriander, cinnamon, turmeric and a generous dose of coconut milk. Chicken Rendang (Malaysian Chicken Rendang Curry) This is a guest post from one of my former students, Sudhan Balakrishnan, who was keen to cook me a traditional Malay curry before he left NZ. Sudhan is no slouch in the kitchen and was even on NZ Masterchef a few years ago - although he didn't progress far in the competition, it has a.