Drunk toad in the hole. Toad in the hole or Sausage Toad is a traditional English dish consisting of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, usually served with onion gravy and vegetables. Historically, the dish has also been prepared using other meats, such as rump steak and lamb's kidney. Fake Scouser Bacardi Cradock cooks traditional British dish, Toad in the Hole in her brand new comedy cooking show, Drunk and Sweary Cookin' with.
Transform toad-in-the-hole with melting mustardy cheddar and broccoli. Toad in the hole is one of England's most bizarrely named foods. Where did its unusual name come from? You can cook Drunk toad in the hole using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Drunk toad in the hole
- It's 8 of good quality sausages (I used pork and beef).
- You need of Bacon.
- It's 140 g of Flour.
- It's 2 of eggs.
- Prepare 200 ml of Milk.
- You need 100 ml of Beer.
- You need of Fresh rosemary.
Was it actually anything to do with toads? Some say that Toad-in-the-Hole originates from the town of Alnmouth in Northumberland, where the local golf course was overrun with Natterjack toads. Nigel Slater shares the secrets behind his perfect toad in the hole recipe: skinless sausages, red hot dripping and a few hidden extras. Wrap each piece of skinned sausage meat in a piece of cured ham.
Drunk toad in the hole instructions
- Wrap sausages in bacon. Place in oven tray. Cook at 220 for 15 mins.
- Make batter, use a whisk. Put flour in a bowl. Add eggs, mix. Add milk, mix. Add beer, mix. Should be light and full of bubbles.
- When sausages are starting to brown....
- Take them out and pour over the batter mix, give a shake, add chopped rosemary.
- Put back into the very hot oven and leave for 30-35 mins. Do not open the oven door to have a look, tempting though it is! Take out, rest for 5 mins. Serve and enjoy :).
Put the dripping or lard in a roasting tin and leave it in the oven until it is smoking. Top tip for making Pigs in blankets toad in the hole. Using excellent quality sausages will dramatically improve the taste quality of this meal. Toad in the hole is the perfect winter dinner. What's not to love about sausages in crispy batter?