Apullian onion pie (Calzone di Cipolla). You can get Calzone di Cipolla (Onion Pie) in almost any Pizza Store in Bari, it's as popular as pizza is. We make this on Frridays during Lent sometimes, when you are noy allowed to eat meat. Since onions are the 'star of the show', the choice of onion will strongly affect the end result.
Sauté anchovies and onions until soft and cooked with a hint of brown color. Add tomatoes put on the side. Roll dough out and spread in pan. You can cook Apullian onion pie (Calzone di Cipolla) using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Apullian onion pie (Calzone di Cipolla)
- Prepare 250 g of flour.
- It's 250 g of semolina flour.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of instant yeast.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- You need 1.5 teaspoons of salt.
- Prepare 200 ml of lukewarm water.
- Prepare 150 ml of olive oil.
- Prepare of Onion filling.
- It's 4 of big white onions.
- Prepare 5 of anchovies filets.
- It's 100 g of sliced olives (green or black).
- You need 2 tablespoons of raisins (optional).
- Prepare 50 g of grated Pecorino.
Put onion mixture on top and cover with dough. Join my Page and Discover the Italy Calzone di cipolla, or onion pie, is one of the signature dishes of the cuisine of Puglia. Mangiarlo leggermente raffreddato, possibilmente ad occhi chiusi per il. How to make a delicious Apulian onion calzone!
Apullian onion pie (Calzone di Cipolla) step by step
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Wait to rise. (5 min).
- Mix flours, salt, oil and yeast mixture and kneed until soft smooth dough forms. Divide in two pieces and leave in warm place to rise..
- Slice onions in thin strips across. Heat some olive oil in frying pan. Fry onions on high until excess liquid evaporates and onions start to brown, than reduce heat and cook on low for about 20-30min, turn occasionally to prevent burning, but don’t overdo it, because it will become mushy. Cook until soft and caramelized. Add some black pepper. No salt needed, because olives, anchovies and pecorino is quite salty. But you can adjust to your taste..
- Cool slightly. Add sliced olives, chopped anchovies, raisins and pecorino cheese. Set aside. Fill is ready..
- Place one piece of rolled dough in very good greased form. Add onion mixture and cover with second half of rolled dough. Pinch edges together. Let it rise for half an hour (or overnight). Pour more olive oil on top and pierce with fork in few places. You can sprinkle some coarse salt on top as well..
- Preheat oven to 395 F. Bake for about 30 min until caramel coloured on top and bottom. Enjoy!.
Calzone di cipolle pugliese - ricetta tipica pugliese Il calzone di cipolle pugliese o calzone di cipolla alla barese è una torta rustica tipica pugliese, preparata con pasta di pane e un ripieno buonissimo. Home » Onion Calzone (calzone Di Cipolla). Calzone di cipolla alla pugliese (Puglian Onion Pie). Calzone di cipolla is a traditional stuffed focaccia made using a local variety of white onions called sponsali.