Fancy Fish Pie. Fancy Fish Pie recipe: A great family meal. Add the prawns & continue to poach for a further minute until the fish flakes easily when poked with a fork. This is a simple fish pie recipe that can either be fancy or made with your budget in mind.
Give the humble fish pie a flavour-boosting makeover with Tommy Banks' version, made with king A simple fish pie recipe that's quick and easy to prepare. Portion into ramekins and freeze for quick. · Combine the flavours of fish pie and cauliflower cheese and you get this wonderful dish from Mary · Debbie Major's winter fish pie recipe is made with a crust of mashed potatoes and filled with a. This is Mary Berry's fish pie with a twist, topped with a fancy soufflé style topping. You can have Fancy Fish Pie using 26 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Fancy Fish Pie
- It's of For poaching the fish.
- It's 500 ml of full fat milk.
- It's 1 of small onion, quartered.
- Prepare 4 of cloves.
- It's 2 of Bay Leaves.
- You need of For the Filling.
- Prepare 300 g of smoked seconds fillets/smoked haddock.
- It's 300 g of cod fillet, skinned and boned.
- You need 200 g of Queen scallops.
- Prepare 150 g of King Prawns.
- It's of Small bunch parsley, chopped.
- It's of For the Nutmeg Mash.
- It's 1.5 kg of floury potatoes (such as maris pipers), peeled and cut into large chunks.
- Prepare of salt and black pepper.
- Prepare 50 ml of Whole Milk.
- You need 50 g of unsalted butter.
- Prepare of Freshly grated nutmeg.
- You need 100 g of grated mature cheddar.
- It's of For the Sauce.
- Prepare 50 g of unsalted butter.
- You need 50 g of plain flour.
- Prepare 500 ml of reserved poaching milk PLUS an extra 100ml.
- You need 1 tbsp of Lemon Juice.
- It's 2 tbsp of chopped fresh parsley.
- You need of Freshly grated nutmeg.
- It's of salt and black pepper.
Find stacks of fish pie recipes for a family friendly, comforting meal. We have loads of classic top-rated fish pies from home cooks like you, as well as some delicious twists on the old favourite recipe. A Fish Pie fit for a king! Flakes of fish smothered in a creamy sauce, topped with mashed potato and a crunchy golden top.
Fancy Fish Pie step by step
- First, poach the fish: put the fish into a frying pan and pour over the 500ml milk. Stud each onion quarter with a clove, then add to the milk with the bay leaves. Bring the milk just to the boil - this will be just a few bubbles appearing - and reduce the heat to simmer for 8 minutes..
- Flake the fish onto a plate and strain the milk into a jug to cool, as you will use this later for the sauce. Flake the fish into large pieces into a large shallow oven-proof baking dish. Place the raw prawns and scallops evenly over the fish. Scatter over the chopped parsley..
- Next, get the potatoes going for the mash by placing them into a large saucepan of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for around 15 - 20 minutes, or until tender..
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Once melted, stir in the flour using a hand whisk and cook for around 10 minutes, stirring continuously until the flour is ‘cooked out’. The consistency will change to a thinner ‘sauce’ and the colour should go slightly caramel. This is when you know it is ready to add the milk..
- Take off the heat and gradually add the milk, a big splash at a time, whisking well each time to create a smooth sauce. As the milk will have been warm when adding, the sauce should thicken fairly quickly. Return to the heat and continue cooking if it needs to thicken a little more. Finish the sauce by adding the nutmeg, parsley, lemon juice and some salt and pepper. Pour this evenly over the fish. Preheat the oven to 190C fan..
- Drain the potatoes well, giving them a bash, tip them back into the pan and mash well. Add the butter and mix well until melted using a fork now in a whisky motion to begin fluffing the mash. Add the milk, a splash at a time until you have a creamy, smooth consistency. You may not need to use all of the milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add the nutmeg to taste..
- Top the pie now with the mash, starting at the edges and working your way in. Smooth it down and then mark with a fork. Top with the grated mature cheddar..
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and bubbling all the way through. If your pie was assembled cold, it may take slightly longer in the oven. Serve with buttered peas tossed in parsley..
Use both smoked and unsmoked fish for best results - and it's economical! Nothing beats a creamy fish pie for some hearty comfort food. My award-winning fish pie is always on our recipe rotation at home. The mysterious roommate here, and I'm going to tell you all about dis fish pie hurr! Remember in Kiki's Delivery Service when Kiki helped the lovely ladies made this fancy fish pie for their granddaughter's.