Rendang. Rendang is an Indonesian spicy meat dish originating from the Minangkabau region in West Sumatra, Indonesia. It has spread across Indonesia to the cuisines of neighbouring Southeast Asian countries. Rendang is a piece of meat — most commonly beef (rendang daging) — that has been slow cooked and braised in a coconut milk and spice mixture, well until the liquids evaporate and the meat turns.
Origins of Rendang Attempting Rendang was a risky being universally known as difficult to achieve authentic results. I used real cocoanuts smashing them and then grating the white flesh remembering once being told that the secret of Rendang lies in the cocoanut. There is definitely a balance to be reached on cooking times. You can have Rendang using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Rendang
- You need 1,5 kg of beef.
- It's 6 of garlic.
- You need 2 of red onions or 8 shallots.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of white pepper.
- Prepare 3 cm of ginger.
- Prepare 1 of lemon grass.
- Prepare 3 of laurier leaves.
- You need 3 of candle nuts.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of curry powder.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of cumin.
- Prepare 3 teaspoons of palm sugar.
- It's 500 ml of coconut milk.
- Prepare of Salt.
- Prepare of Olive oil.
- Prepare of Dry chili powder (optional).
I had all the right weights and timings. The minangkabau rendang (minangkabau is the region in sumatra where this dish come from) tends to be dry with all the liquid evaporated in the slow cooking. The meat is very dark almost black. Rendang is a traditional Indonesian dish, but is also part of Malayasian cuisine, too.
- Slice the beef into thin, small chunks..
- Grind the spices in a food processor: garlic, onions, coriander seeds, white pepper, ginger, candle nuts, cumin, and a little bit of olive oil..
- In a soup pan, bring oil into heat and throw the ground spices in. Add lemon grass and laurier leaves. Cook until the aroma strikes out, for about one minute..
- Throw the meat chunks in. Stir while adding coconut milk..
- Season with salt, palm sugar, and curry powder. Add dry chili powder if you're a spicy food fan..
- Let cook for about 2,5 hours until the meat is tender, the coconut milk is absorbed, and your neighbours smell something delicious..
- Serve it with white rice and emping (melindjo nut cracker). Use cucumber for garnish..
Rendang is meat (usually beef) that has been slowly cooked and braised in a spice paste mixture and coconut. Beef Rendang Instead of searing the meat before cooking it in liquid, as is done with a Western-style braise, beef rendang reverses the process. Slowly simmering beef chuck with Indonesian spice. Rendang is a festive dish served at various ceremonies and rituals such as the Muslim holidays of Eid al-Kabīr and Eid al-Fitr. The first mentions of rendang date from the sixteenth century in the famous Malay book Hikayat Amir Hamzah.