West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry). Great recipe for West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry). It's the food I grew up with. Rendang is a spicy meat dish which originated from West Sumatra, Indonesia.
It is served with rice or bread and a vegetable dish and is an event in itself. It is a widely popular dish in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and the surrounding area. One thing in common, rendang is West Sumatran caramelized beef curry, and Gordon did a. You can cook West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry) using 25 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry)
- You need of Basic Ingredients.
- Prepare 700 grams of fresh beef shanks/ribs/chuck, cut into large cubes.
- Prepare 800 ml of pure coconut milk (from 3 mature coconuts).
- You need 1500 ml of young coconut water.
- Prepare 150 grams of unpeeled baby potatoes, cut slightly.
- You need 150 grams of red beans, boiled until half-cooked.
- It's 2 tsp of salt.
- It's of Ground-Spice Ingredients.
- Prepare 100 grams of red chilli peppers (add more if you likel it spicy).
- Prepare 10 clove of medium shallots.
- You need 10 clove of garlics.
- It's 3 cm of ginger, peeled.
- It's 2 cm of turmeric, peeled.
- It's 5 piece of candlenuts.
- It's 1/2 of nutmeg.
- Prepare 1 tsp of coriander seed.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of pepper powder.
- Prepare of Leaf & Spice Ingredients.
- It's 3 of turmeric leaves.
- You need 8 of fresh lime leaves.
- Prepare 5 of Indonesian bay-leaves (daun salam).
- Prepare 3 piece of thick lemongrasses white part only, smashed.
- You need 4 cm of galangal, peeled & slightly smashed.
- It's 3 piece of small star anise.
- It's 1 piece of cinnamon stick.
Beef rendang is one of the original cuisines of Minangkabau descent and Sumatra's culture. It is served at special occasions to honor guests and during festive seasons. It is a delicious Indonesian dish prepared with a myriad of herbs and spices cooking for a few hours until all the liquids have been completely absorbed by the meat. Beef Rendang is a flavorful West Sumatran dry curry that's made with beef, that's cooked together with a spice paste and coconut milk until fork-tender.
West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry) instructions
- Blend the Ground-Spice Ingredients together until well combined like a smooth paste. Set aside..
- Combine pure coconut milk & young coconut water to the nonstick-large-pan. Boil & stir them well in a medium heat..
- Add the smooth paste of Ground-Spice Ingredients. Stir well to combine and turn into sweet orange coloured liquid..
- Add all the Leaf & Spice Ingredients. Stir constantly until slightly fragrant..
- Add salt..
- Add fresh beef until well combined. Stir well and bring a gentle boil..
- Once the meat is half-cooked, add baby potatoes & red beans..
- Stir it well every 15 minutes or so to prevent sticking, until the mixture become thicker, darker & gloriously fragrant..
- Continue to simmer gently until the liquid has evaporated by about 95%. Reduce the heat to low..
- Test the meat, it should be perfect enogh when it's fork-tender..
- Taste the liquid for salt, add a pinch if you need more. Mix them. Turn down the heat.
- Remove all the Leaf & Spice Ingredients..
- Serves the dish with steamed rice..
It's then fried together with the remaining braising liquid until the liquid caramelizes around the beef, coating it with an insane amount of flavor. Beef Randang or Rendang is a dry beef curry which is quite spicy but delicious with the most tender beef pieces. Soto is a traditional Sumatran noodle soup very similar to a Laksa with coconut milk and spices. usually served with Ayam (chicken). Rendang is a traditional food originating from West Sumatra and prepared by Minangkabau people. Rendang is commonly made with beef (especially tenderloin) with special sauce containing a high amount of coconut milk.