Short rib shepherd's pie. This short rib shepherd's pie is a great project for a chilly Sunday afternoon. A simple green salad is all you need to serve alongside this filling dish. Braising the short ribs for this hearty shepherd's pie takes a few hours, which makes it a great project for a chilly Sunday afternoon.
This savory, comforting Shepherd's Pie recipe elevates shepherd's (cottage pie) to a whole new level with melt in. This dish makes a great Sunday supper that delivers on rich short rib flavor with the homey deliciousness of shepherd's pie. Not your typical Shepherd's Pie recipe and one that will not disappoint. You can cook Short rib shepherd's pie using 24 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Short rib shepherd's pie
- You need of Beef ribs.
- You need 8 of boneless beef short ribs (about 900 g).
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- You need Handful of fresh thyme sprigs.
- It's 6 cloves of garlic, unpeeled.
- It's 1 of medium onion, unpeeled and cut in half.
- You need 1 tbsp of whole black peppercorns.
- You need of Potato mash.
- It's 8 of medium waxy yellow potatoes, chopped into 2 cm chunks.
- You need 1/4 cup of cream cheese.
- You need 1/4 cup of whole milk.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of kosher salt.
- It's 1/4 tsp of ground white pepper.
- You need of Finish.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, chopped.
- It's 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 2 of carrots, diced.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fresh thyme leaves.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- It's 1/2 cup of dry red wine.
- It's 1/2 cup of sweet peas.
- You need 1/2 cup of sweet corn kernels.
- You need 2 cups of beef stock.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of cornstarch.
This is the same braised short rib recipe as my Guinness Braised Short Ribs, but a slightly different arrangement. Don't let all the steps shy you away. Enjoy this day by cracking open a Guinness and taking your time cooking this. Очередь. __count__/__total__. Spread mashed potato mixture over beef mixture in Dutch oven.
Short rib shepherd's pie step by step
- Add a splash of veg oil to a large pot on medium-high heat. Season the ribs with salt and pepper and sear them a few at a time in the pot, until they're evenly browned on all sides. Put all the ribs in the pot, along with the bay, thyme, garlic, onion and peppercorns. Add enough cold water so the meat's submerged about 2 cm below the surface. Turn the heat down to medium-low and let simmer for 2 hours. Remove the meat and set aside..
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of cold water. Add a good pinch of salt and turn the heat up to high. Let boil until the potatoes are fork tender..
- Drain the potatoes well and put them back in the pot. Add the cream cheese, milk, salt and white pepper. Mash the potatoes until no large chunks remain. You can also run the potatoes through a sieve if you want them extra silky Use a wooden spoon and stir the mash just until it's uniform. Don't overstir or it'll become gluey. If needed, add extra milk a splash at a time. The potatoes should be just slightly on the dry side. Check the seasoning and add extra salt and white pepper as needed.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Add a splash of veg oil to a large pan on medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry 1 minute until fragrant. Add the carrots and thyme and fry another 2 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and wine and let simmer until the liquid's absorbed, about 2 minutes..
- Using a pair of forks, shred the beef into bite-sized chunks. Add the beef to the pan along with the peas and corn and toss to combine. Add the beef stock. In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water to make a slurry. Add it to the pan and stir until the sauce thickens..
- Pour the beef into a high-sided 20 cm x 30 cm baking tray. Give the tray a good rap against the counter to distribute the meat evenly. Add the potatoes and use a spatula to smooth it over the beef. Put the tray uncovered in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn up to high broil and bake an additional 2 minutes, or until the edges crisp and the top turns lightly golden..
- Remove the tray from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with freshly grated cheese (cheddar or parmesan both work) or, my preference, a sprinkle of sweet smoky paprika..
Short ribs are a cut of beef taken from the brisket, chuck, plate, or rib areas of beef cattle. They consist of a short portion of the rib bone, which is overlain by meat which varies in thickness. The original Bibby's Shepherd's pie recipe made with succulent chunks of leftover roast lamb and garden vegetables, topped with creamy mashed potatoes. · I've never fallen in love with a recipe as quickly as I did this one. I don't think I'll ever love another recipe as much as Oven Braised Short Ribs!