Spinach pie. Watch this authentic Greek recipe for Spanakopita, or spinach pie! This recipe has been passed down in my family for generations. Sharing a recipe for Greek Spinach Pie.
Nobody would argue that Greeks know something about pies. Spanakopita is a popular Greek spinach and feta pie that makes a great vegetarian meal option. I use my spinach and feta pie filling to make my small appetizer-sized spinach pies. You can have Spinach pie using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Spinach pie
- It's 5 of large phyllo pastry sheets.
- You need 3 cup of spinach.
- It's 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese.
- Prepare dash of salt.
- You need 1 of egg, lightly beaten.
- You need 1/2 cup of milk.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of oil (corn, canola, etc.).
- You need 1 of optional: black cumin seeds.
Pour the spinach mixture into the middle of the phyllo and neatly fold the edges up and over the top to seal in the filling. Spanakopita (Greek spinach pie) is one of the most popular Greek dishes, that is known and loved To prepare an authentic spanakopita recipe, feta cheese is crumbled and mixed with spinach into a. The spinach filling in these fatayer, inspired by a recipe from Palestinian-born baker Maha Ziadeh, isn't flavored with feta, as it is in the more com. In a large skillet Layers of flaky phyllo dough paired with smooth and flavorful spinach-feta filling, make this Spanakopita (Traditional Greek Spinach Pie) a.
Spinach pie instructions
- Preheat oven at 180ºC/ 350º F. Use either an oval or a round baking dish. Slightly grease bottom..
- In a measure cup combine the milk and the oil. In a large bowl combine the spinach, feta cheese, salt and lightly beaten egg. (Optional: you may also add some chopped parsley or dill.) Mix well..
- Spread one phyllo pastry sheet over a clean top. With a brush carefully wet the sheet with the milk mixture. Next take part of the spinach mixture, and place in the middle of the pastry sheet as shown..
- Carefully roll the sheet and place in the middle of the baking dish in a spiral shape..
- Repeat with the rest of the sheets until you have covered the whole baking dish. (Depending on the size of the dish you may need more or fewer sheets.) Once finished pour the remaining milk mixture over the pie and garnish with black cumin seeds. Bake for 50-60 minutes until nice golden brown..
- Let it cool for a least 1/2 hour before serving. Hope you enjoy!.
As the spinach starts to wilt, add the rest a few handfuls at a time. This spinach pie is so versatile, serve it as a side dish, or have it for lunch or a light main dish with a salad in the side. It's also easy to make ahead and can be kept room temperature until ready to serve. This easy Spinach Pie is loaded with fresh spinach, sautéed scallions, and buttery Gruyère cheese. It makes a delicious brunch or lunch addition to the table.