Lemon Chess Pie. Lemon juice and the zest of three lemons make this chess pie divine. The filling is thickened with cornmeal, and is rich with whole milk and eggs. All Reviews for Bill Clinton's Lemon Chess Pie.
Chess pie is a dessert characteristic of Southern United States cuisine, particularly in Virginia. This lemon-flavored version of a traditional chess pie with its filling of butter, sugar and eggs has the added convenience of a ready-made shortbread pie crust. This Lemon Chess Pie is really easy to make and quick to put together. You can have Lemon Chess Pie using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Lemon Chess Pie
- Prepare 4 each of eggs.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
- It's 1 tbsp of white cornmeal.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It's 5 tbsp of butter, melted.
- It's 1/2 cup of buttermilk.
- Prepare 5 tbsp of lemon juice.
- It's 1 tbsp of lemon zest.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It's 1 of pie crust.
All the lemons simply make this pie divine, with its flaky crust and its incredible lemon curd like filling. Lemon Chess Pie is a such a classic southern dessert that yields phenomenal flavor. This lemon version of chess pie comes together with just a handful of ingredients! Add the milk and mix then stir in the melted butter, lemon rind and juice.
Lemon Chess Pie step by step
- preheat oven to 350°F..
- whisk eggs to blend.
- Add each of the ingredients through vanilla extract in order, completely incorporating one before adding the next.
- Pour filling into the pie crust and bake in the middle of the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the pie is golden on top and almost set. The center of the pie should remain slightly loose; it will set as it cools.
- cool completely before cutting.
Combine the sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a medium- size bowl. Lemon Chess Pie is a such a classic southern dessert that yields phenomenal flavor. The curd-like filling rests on a flaky pie crust and it all comes. I hope you get to make this wonderful old fashioned pie soon! Chess pie is typically a very sweet pie with a dense consistency.