You can have Cornish Pasties using 14 ingredients and 18 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Cornish Pasties
- It's of For the Pastry:.
- You need 4 cups of flour.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 3/4 stick of unsalted butter.
- It's 3 Tbl of vegetable shortening.
- You need 1/2 cup of - 1 cup water.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Prepare of For the Filling.
- It's 1 pound of cube steak, cut in small pieces.
- It's 1 of Rutabaga cut into small pieces.
- It's 6 of potatoes cut into small pieces.
- You need 1 of onion chopped.
- You need to taste of Salt and Pepper.
- Prepare 1 of egg beaten.
Cornish Pasties instructions
- For the Pastry:.
- Mix dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add in the butter and shortening in small chunks. Mix on a stand-up mixer with a pastry extension tool. Mix on a lower setting until it becomes a uniform dough..
- The dough should be covered with a towel and placed in the refrigerator for about 4 hours. Longer is okay..
- Take the dough out of the fridge and divide into 6 or 7 sections on a clean, flat, floured surface..
- Take each dough section one at a time and roll it out flat. I like to use wax paper between the dough and the rolling pin so it doesn't stick..
- Once flat, use a round dish like a plate to shape the dough into a circle. Repeat these steps with the other dough sections..
- You can now fill the pastries with the filling. Be sure not to fill it too full as you will not be able to fold the pastry..
- Fold the pastry in half, carefully. Flouring your fingers and hands will help the pastry not stick to your fingers as you fold it..
- Once folded, crimp the edges of the pastry with your fingers..
- Brush the outside of each pastry with beaten egg. Then, make a little slit at the top of each Pasty to vent..
- For the filling:.
- Cut up all the vegetables. I use a large, very sharp knife. However, if you have a Ninja Food Processor or other electric chopper, I would highly recommend using it..
- Cut up the raw meat into 1/2 inch pieces..
- When filling the pastries, salt and pepper between layers..
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the Pasties on a greased cooking sheet. You may also line the sheet with aluminum foil..
- Bake in the oven uncovered for about 50 minutes. If the outer crust is a light brown color, they are done..
- Take the Pasties out of the oven and let cool for about 20 minutes. They will be VERY hot inside and will burn your mouth if you don't let them cool down properly..