Indonesian Corn Fritters. Bakwan Jagung is Indonesian for corn fritters. This blogpost will give you a simple recipe for Indonesian corn fritters that you can make at home in no time. Many years ago I worked on an engineering project together with some companies in Indonesia to build trains for the city of Jakarta.
For the fritters: In a large bowl, combine half the corn kernels, garlic, red bell pepper, nutmeg, ground pepper and egg. Indonesian Spiced Corn Fritters (Perkedel Jagung) My aunty Tje Ie in Kupang, Timor, loves to make these when she has visitors - a tradition I've carried over to my home in London. Juicy, chunky kernels of corn come together with fragrant spices and aromatics to form these delicious fritters. You can cook Indonesian Corn Fritters using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Indonesian Corn Fritters
- Prepare 400 grams of corn kernels.
- It's 1 of large egg.
- Prepare 75 grams of all purpose flour.
- It's 2 tsp of sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- It's 1 tsp of ground coriander.
- It's to taste of ground white/black pepper.
- Prepare of Coriander leaves / green onion as needed, finely chopped.
- It's of Grind the following into paste :.
- You need 3 of shallots.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves.
Bakwan jagung - Indonesian corn fritters. If I must pick two of the most popular side dishes/savory treats that seem to be sold everywhere in Indonesia, then I will have to settle for perkedel kentang (potato fritters) and followed closely by bakwan jagung (corn fritters). Both are delicious and the smell of these can make you feel hungry instantly even after a full course meal. Fresh corn needs a couple of seconds extra time to cook through without the outside of the fritter burning.
Indonesian Corn Fritters step by step
- Process the corn in a food processor until half smooth (still able to see some whole kernels, not totally pureed)..
- Transfer to a bowl then add the rest of ingredients. Mix well..
- In a wok or a deep frying pan over high heat, add frying oil to a depth of 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Heat to 350 degrees. Working in batches, scoop up corn mixture 1 tablespoon at a time, and add to hot oil, be careful not to crowd pan..
- Fry until golden brown, 1.5 to 2.5 minutes a side. Drain and place on paper towels..
Corn Fritters (Bakwan Jagung) - A popular Street Food in Indonesia: Corn fritters can be served in a variety of ways in Indonesian cuisine. As mentioned, you can find corn fritters at most street food vendors. It's usually sold as a snack along with other fried foods, such as tempeh, tofu, banana, and root vegetables. Separate corn kernels from the cob then place in a bowl. Add all the remining ingredients apart from the oil.